RAWR CC - Runescape clan

Rowdy Adults Within Runescape

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chief Pnut

PostSubject: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:03 am

Posts one, two and three are done, four is under construction, bear with me Wink

There's so much you can do when posting on these forums, I thought it was time for a little guide on what all em different buttons are for!

In the first post you will find the first 3 sets of buttons explained, in the second post you will find the 4th set,
in the third post are the 5th and 6th, and the last buttons you will find in post number 4.

If you use any of these buttons, you'll see blocks of text looking like this: [ blabla ] and [/ blabla]. These are simply a start and end code, start without and end with the /

Ok let's start with the first set of buttons:

The buttons from left to right correspond to this in your textbox (top to bottom):

And that looks like this in a post:

You have a few options when using these buttons:

1) type your text, highlight it (click on the left or right side of your text, hold, and drag to the other end of the block of text you want the effect to apply to) and then click the B for bold text, the I for italic, etc.
2) when you have gotten used to the different codes ( things in between [ and ] ), you could simply start a line/word/block of text with the right code, and end it with one.

Next, the align buttons:

With these buttons you can move your text to the left side of the post (standard, no button needed), to the middle, the right, or spread it out!

Simply highlight the text and hit the appropriate button.

Example of aligned in the centre:

Example of aligned to the right:

Next set of buttons:

These are quite handy!!

With these buttons you can make lists:

Pressing the first button once gives you the start list code and [*].
For every item you use next, you need to add [*], when you are done with your list, hit the list button once more, or type the end code showed in above picture.

It will then look like this:

With the second button you can have thesame list numbered, same principle as regular list, in your text box it looks like this:

And in your post it looks like this:

The third button in this row basically hits enter twice for you Razz In the textbox:

And in a post it looks like:

Last edited by ChiefPnut on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://chiefpnut.webs.com
Chief Pnut

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:25 am

Buttons:

First button, the quote button:

Result:

We're gona ignore the second button, since not many people will use other codes than the ones you can use by clicking the buttons, and those that do use them, will know what it's for Wink

Third button is for making tables, this one is a bit tricky!

When you click it it will ask you the amount of rows and cols you want, pretty straight forward here.
For this example we're gona go with a 4 x 4 table. Fill in your 4 and your 4:

And hit ok. It will look like this:

Now the fun part, gona have to pay close attention if you want your table to look alright!!

The tr and /tr codes indicate the beginning and end of a new row (the vertical part).
The td and /td are for every cell in that row, from left to right. For this example I'm just going to put in some
numbers and letters.

Text box:

Result:

The size of a row or a line will adjust automatically, so if you were to put in an image, the whole row and line it is in would 'grow' (I replaced 'A' and 'CCC' with a picture)

Looks like:

As you can see in the above text box example, this is where it can get tricky with image codes or big amounts of text, so if you are using a table, I strongly advise you to use the preview option as many times as needed!

For information on how to upload and post, click [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Last edited by ChiefPnut on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chief Pnut

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:25 am

The next set of buttons:

The use of the first button is explained in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] post by wurz,
it lets you upload pictures through serv. img, an image hosting website linked to these forums. If you want to post a single image on the forum,
this one might be the handiest to use.

The second button basically gives you the start and end codes for an image, in between which the link to your image is pasted.

Looks like this in your textbox:

And in your post:

(yes I drew that Smile)

You can find a more complete guide on how to post (multiple) pictures [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

The middle button is for posting links to other pages.

Next is the button for flash images (usually moving images), I'm skipping this one cause I think that option is disabled on our forum Wink

Last but not least is the button for posting videos, and for this one I've already made a guide in the past, which you can find [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Next set of buttons, to play with the look and color of your text:

First button lets you change the size of your text, simply highlight and select the size you want:

Looks like:

Middle button is to play with colored text (like my typo? Razz ):

Looks like:

And last but not least, the font itself (not all options are shown in the pictures):

You can mix and match as much as you like, change color AND style AND size, make it bold, make it italic, move it left, move it right, you name it, you can do it!!

Last edited by ChiefPnut on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chief Pnut

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:26 am

Reserved

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:58 am

sweetheart we have to do this kind of stuff at work all the time for reports, presentations etc. Don't maske me waste my spare time in this please
Back to top Go down
Chief Pnut

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 am

What do you mean? I'm not making anyone do anything?

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:11 am

The guide looks good Rianne, should definitely help to clear up what the mass of buttons do for people who aren't sure!

Looks like it must've taken you bleedin' ages as well, so I hope this effort is appreciated by more than just me.
Back to top Go down
iJustJoshinU

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:18 am

Thank you Ri!! I can honestly say that I didn't know how to do some of those things... rather than me spending forever figuring it out (seeing as I would give up on it lol) I'm glad you worked it out for the rest of us. Very Happy

P.S. You seem to be a lot better at keeping focus lol. I'm not worth a crap when it comes to somethin like this Wink
Back to top Go down
wendywoo

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:36 am

Nice work Pnut! I do the same kind of stuff at work too, creating policies etc but the buttons on the forums are so different I rarely bother to use them!

Thanks, cleverclogs !

I love you

Woo xx

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:54 am

Wow, Rianne! This is such a thorough description of the operations on here. Thank you Very Happy! Great idea hon, and excellent job simplifying everything into an easy, understandable manner. We should title you Forum Angel instead of Admin.. hehe. Hugs Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:16 am

Finally....someone explaining all the techy stuff....Well done Pnut queen

Very very appreciated Very Happy

and note to Petri...only beause you can use it doesn't mean other ppl know how to use the buttons..I am afraid your comment was NOT constructive at all albino

cherry Pop

Back to top Go down
Chief Pnut

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks guys Smile

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:20 am

Holy cow (we need an emote for that)
Very thorough!
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:59 am

ugh, i even downloaded paint.net to get the invisible background but nooo....
Back to top Go down
Chief Pnut

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:36 am

Photoshopped it for ya Razz

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:21 am

Ok, I adjusted one thing in the settings of the forum, so that in your text box (where you type your message) you will NO LONGER see the codes, but you will see what it will look like instead.

It's called: WHATyouSeeisWhatyouGet Razz

Should make things much easier.

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:39 pm

OhOh I need a "WHATyouSeeisWhatyouGet " Button on a man.... albino

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!   

Back to top Go down

What is this button for? About what you can do in your posts!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1