HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

RS client improver

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ovismartin

PostSubject: RS client improver   Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:09 am

Credit to Blind Tree from The Slayers Guild:

Gayle seemed to be having a problem with her computer crashing lots even though she has 3gb+ of ram, etc.

For those who don't know Java actually runs on a Virtual Machine, this means that you can have 3gb of ram and it only uses 130mb to run the VM. Hence why a lot of people can have insane computers and have java being constantly shit.

Wanna know how much ram your RS has allocated? Open the developers console (`) and type: "heap" without quotes. That shows you how much ram is dedicated to the RS client - generally 130mb.

To counteract this you can force java to load with more memory.

The steps:

The easiest way to do this (using XP\7) is to get ahold of the RuneScape Official Client and install that ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Once it is installed go to Start -> Run and type the following

"%homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\jagexlauncher\runescape"

Fuck yes I just showed you how to use environment variables.

Inside that folder is a file called runescape.prm, open this with notepad or your chosen text editor.

It looks much like this:

-Djava.class.path=jagexappletviewer.jar
-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
-Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
-Dcom.jagex.config=http://www.runescape.com/k=3/l=$(Language:0)/jav_config.ws
-Xmx256m
jagexappletviewer

The line we are interested in is -Xmx256m. This tells java to load using 256 MB of ram. Clearly, we want more.

The max Gayle and I tried was 1024mb and that worked fine. It cried when Gayle tried to use 1500mb and I know the max size is roughly 2GB. So test it out, try 512mb, 1024mb or whatever floats your boat and let me know whether or not this seemed to make your RS run better, faster, smoother.

So, to force the official client to load with 1GB of ram change -Xmx256m to -Xmx1024m

NOTE: FOR THOSE WHO DON'T LIKE READING. THIS IS IN CAPS SO IT MUST BE IMPORTANT!!!! This will ONLY mean that the RUNESCAPE CLIENT will load with 1gb of ram allocated, NOT SwiftKit, Chrome or the abomination that is Internet Explorer for anyone sad enough to still be using it.

Also, to those who are in the know and are wondering why I didn't just go to the java control panel and add it to the runtime parameters. I did. For some odd reason, it refused to work. Maybe I needed a computer reset before it'd work but I'm lazy. This way is much simpler, contained and most importantly, works.

Enjoy my expertise and let me know how it works for ya.

Blind.

Postscript: For an understanding of why this helps (if it floats your boat) go to:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and go down to the section labelled "Java heap parameters".

Hope this helps someone, and please let me know if it works well for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RS client improver   Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:20 am

when changing the memory size in the java control panel
you have to click apply after you click ok or it wont keep the setting
just changed mine thanks for the tip Wink
Back to top Go down
wendywoo

PostSubject: Re: RS client improver   Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:32 am

Hey Ovis - I forgot to say thanks for this - I meant to trial it and get back to you but I forgot!

thanks!

Woo x

PostSubject: Re: RS client improver   

Back to top Go down

RS client improver
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1